A WiFi network enables you to access the internet on your wireless devices without the need for bulky Ethernet cables. However, in order to keep your internet safe and sound, you will need your Netgear router’s WiFi password.
If your Netgear wireless router is not password protected, then anyone can easily connect to your WiFi network. In other words, strangers can hog your network’s bandwidth, reducing internet speed. So, to avoid this, it is recommended to change your Netgear WiFi router’s default password.
Doing so is much simpler than it seems, although you have to access the default web user interface of your Netgear router.
Steps to Change Your Netgear Router Password
- Open your Netgear WiFi router’s configuration page using any browser on your computer or Mac.
- To get the job done, enter routerlogin.net or the default IP address of your router into the web browser’s address bar.
- On the appearing Netgear genie login window, type the admin username and password.
- Hit Ok.
- After you get logged in, locate the Wireless section in the left pane.
- In the Password or Network Key field, type the password you want your router’s WiFi network to have.
- At last, click on the Apply button.
After doing so, your device gets disconnected from the WiFi network, check the available wireless networks again, and enter the new WiFi password after choosing your router’s network to connect.
The steps to change the WiFi password will be the same for all Netgear router models. So, whether you have done the Netgear Nighthawk X4 AC2200 setup or using any older Netgear router model, use the aforementioned steps to change the router password.
Note: In case you are using a Netgear extender as well, then better to change its password too via mywifiext web configuration page.
While creating a new password for your Netgear router, be sure to make it a strong one. Here are some tips you need to consider for making a secure password for your WiFi network:
- Don’t choose your nickname or birth date as your password.
- Avoid using your spouse’s name or wedding anniversary as the login password.
- Your mobile number can also be easily tracked by hijackers. So don’t use it as a password for your Netgear router.
You might be wondering then how you can create an easy-to-remember password, right? Wonder no more!
Here are a few tricks which help you make your password not only strong but also rememberable.
- You can replace i with !
- You can use * instead of x
- You can replace S with $
- Try using ^ rather than V
- Replace 8 with B
- Use @ in place of a and o
- You can replace O with 0
Let’s help you with an example. For instance, you selected ‘TenWhiteHorses’ as your Netgear router WiFi password.
You can make it strong yet rememberable by changing it like one of the following ways:
Sounds interesting, isn’t it?
So why waiting? Play with words and make a secure WiFi password now!