If you are about to commence or are in the process of moving from one home to another then this article is for you.
Moving can undoubtedly be a stressful experience. This is because having to familiarize yourself with a new place and surrounding can be very difficult. Perhaps you had very fond experiences and memories in your soon to be old home and so, the thought of leaving triggers feelings of anxiety.
Or even if did not have particularly fond memories, moving homes is a big life change and as we all know, change can be scary. This is often because change can trigger a flight or flight response, disrupts structure and your routines and can alter your sense of self. Evidently, therefore, moving into a new home and new environment can be stressful. However, this does not have to be the case! Although change can be scary, it can also be good and beautiful. So, this article aims to highlight the ways in which and reasons as to why moving homes can be great for you.
- You can make new friends
One reason as to why moving into a new home can be great, is that it presents itself as an opportunity to make new friends. Having friends and a social circle is great and has many benefits. For example:
- Having friends can help reduce stress levels – you can get stressed a whole number of ways, but one of the most common causes of stress is the tensions of everyday life and that is where friends come into play. Having friends can help you better navigate life and can be people who you express your feeling, thoughts and emotions to.
- So, friends can contribute to overall health – when you know you have people that are looking out for you, you are more likely to take care of yourself better. Alternatively, if you feel lonely and isolated, it can be harder to prioritize self-care and your health.
- Better cardiovascular health? – Yes, some research and studies have suggested that those with strong connections, bonds and friendship have stronger hearts. So, if you do not have friends or are socially isolated, you should definitely consider getting some new friends.
So, a great advantage to moving is that you can form these new relationships with other people. If you do not know how to go about making new friends when you move, then not worry. There are tips to help you make friends when you move as an adult which include …
- Putting yourself out there – we have all heard or been told to “put yourself out there” but what does that actually mean? This could involve getting involved in any local community events or neighborhood activities. You could also visit neighbors and exchange greetings with them when you first move in so that they know who you are. Hopefully, this should spark friendships or at least connections with others. So be friendly, put a smile on your face and talk to people. If you are serious about wanting to make new connections and friendships, then you will have to put some effort into it.
- Use social media – the day and age we live in revolves around technology, the internet and social media so use these tools and take advantage of them. If you are too frightened to go out, speak and interact with people in real life, then you could use social media instead. Apps such as Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter are all great for meeting new people. Further, an added advantage of using social media is that you can find and interact with people that have similar interests, likes and hobbies to you.
- Moving can help you make new memories
Another great advantage of moving homes is that you can create new memories. Moving gives you the power to reclaim memories and make of them what you want. If you had particularly fond memories in your old house, you can try to replicate some of these within your new home so that you associate it with positive feelings and memories. Alternatively, if your old home sparked negative feelings, emotions and memories, then you can use moving into a new home as an opportunity to start afresh and create a new environment.
Importantly, you want to ensure that the moving experience itself will be a good memory. Dialing down the hassle is critical.
To do this, it is best to plan ahead and prepare for the move way before it happens. While planning, you should do all that you can to ensure that the move will be as hassle-free as possible. One way to do this is by removing any unnecessary stresses associated with moving. For instance, to help alleviate some of the pressures and stresses associated with moving, you should consider looking into trusted vehicle home delivery services, to make moving your vehicles easier.
- Moving can help improve your memory
Some research and studies have shown that moving can actually have a positive impact on your memory. So, moving houses can be a great reference point, helping you remember events easier.
- Moving can help you be less materialistic
Some studies have shown that the more times you move around, the more likely it is that you will have fewer possessions. This is because it is likely that during the moving process that you will leave or donate some items during the process. So, over time and after a few moves, you will probably have fewer items. However, if you are a shopaholic, this may not apply to you! If you want to be a minimalist, try moving.
- Greater happiness?
Depending on where you are moving and your motivations behind it, it could have the added benefit of improving your happiness. For example, if you have an affinity for nature and you moved into a house surrounded by it, it is likely that your happiness levels will increase.